Do you ever feel stressed getting ready for a trip? You are going on the “trip-of-a-lifetime and instead of feeling excitement and looking forward to your vacation…you dread it? No need to stress…with a few deep breaths and an organized list…packing is simple and easy!
Affirmation: Packing is simple and easy.
The travel countdown is here…2 days until take-off for the Galapagos Islands! My clothes are in a pile along with my toiletries, my snacks, and the million things I just have to bring. This process has become more stressful than necessary. It is time to make peace with my packing by taking a deep breath, sorting out the things I don’t love for my trip, and pack. Simple.
“Make peace with your packing. Breathe. Sort. Pack.”
Take a deep breath. Focus on where you will be going and what you will need. I am going to the Galapagos Islands which is located on the equator. We will be spending a few days in Quito, the capital, which is the highest constitutional capital in the world sitting at 9,350 feet above sea level and then traveling by sea to the Galapagos. This means not only clothing for warm weather but for cooler weather. Did I mention my stuff needs to fit in a carry-on? Breathe and affirm Packing is simple and easy.
Start sorting your piles. What do you love? What do you want/need? Do you really need 5 pairs of shoes?
Depending on how long your trip is and where you are going, my standard list follows:
- The “3” Rule: 3 t-shirts, 3 pairs of pants/skorts/skirts, 3 long-sleeved shirts (sweatshirt included), 3 pairs of socks, 3 underwear (wash & wear)
- Leggings (1-2 pair; great to wear on the plane and can easily slip on and off)
- Rain jacket
- Shoes: Good walking shoes, slip-ons (flip-flops)
- Visor: I choose a visor so my head may soak up the sun and vitamins!
- Healthy sunscreen and bug balm
- Water bottle
- Back pack
- Good reading book(s) or Kindle
- Phone and accessories
- Healthy snacks
Now, comes the easy part…packing what you have chosen to bring.
- Roll your clothes. They will pack easier and you will be able to fit more in your suitcase.
- Economize your space. Pack underwear in your shoes. Wrap anything fragile in clothing.
- Wear your heavy clothing. You will love yourself for having a sweatshirt on the plane!
Congratulations! You have made peace with your packing.
Carpe diem and have the adventure of your life!